The Willamette National Forest's Sweet Home Ranger District will be sending one large Capitol Christmas tree and 75 smaller companion trees back to Washington, DC to adorn the Capitol buildings for the 2018 holiday season. That means a lot of decorations! We need your help to create a total of 10,000 handmade ornaments to send to our nation's capital to decorate these Christmas trees. There are several ways to get involved:
Attend an ornament making event
The Willamette National Forest and its partners will be staffing ornament making booths at the following events. We’d love to have you join us! A list of events is below, or can be downloaded as a part of this flyer.
- Sweet Home Chamber Awards Banquet Dinner** - April 7 from 5-6PM, Sweet Home Boys and Girls Club
- Oregon Ducks Football Spring Game** - April 21, Moshofsky Center, Eugene
- Oakridge Tree Planting Festival – May 5th from 11AM - 3PM, High School Track
- Free Fishing Day - June 2 at 10AM, Timber Linn Park (Albany), Detroit Lake, Willamette Fish Hatchery (Oakridge)
- Sweet Home Safety Fair - June 23 at 9AM , Sweet Home Police Department
- Emerald (EMS) Baseball Game** - July 25 from 6-9PM, PK Park, Eugene
- Sportsman's Holiday - July 14 at 10AM, Sweet Home High School
- Oregon Jamboree** - August 3-5, Sweet Home High School
- Sweet Home Community Health Fair - August 18 from 10AM - 2PM, Sweet Home High School Activity Center
- Oregon State Fair** - August 25 and September 1 from 10AM – 5PM , Salem
- Harvest Fest - Saturday October 13 from 10AM - 2PM Sankey Park, Sweet Home
** indicates events that require an entrance fee
Host your own event!
We are in search of groups, schools, organizations and individuals who'd like to host their own 2018 Capitol Christmas Tree ornament making events. Any ornaments made will help us reach our goal of 6,500 small ornaments and 3,500 large ornaments to adorn the Capitol Christmas trees in Washington DC!
Download this brochure for specifications and themes. For ornament ideas, check out our photos and instructions posted here. Keep in mind these are just ideas; feel free to get creative!
Ornaments should reflect Oregon's cultural heritage, historical events or people and our natural resources. Let's show the nation why we are proud to be from Oregon! Ornaments must meet the following specifications:
|Small Ornaments||Large Ornaments|
Reflective & Colorful
Lightweight & Durable
Reflective & Colorful
Lightweight & Waterproof
For more information, or to ask additional questions, please contact Stefanie Gatchell or Nancy Shadomy at the Sweet Home Ranger Station: 541-367-5168 or firstname.lastname@example.org.